norfolk pine

James Yorton jjy at xnet.com
Sat May 3 00:26:35 EST 1997

In bionet.plants c-cosner at students.uiuc.edu (christopher k cosner) writes:
:
: 	A friend going away for the summer left several plants with me,
: among them a tiny norfolk pine that seems to have had a rough time of it.
: The plant is about 7" high, its branches droop and the needles have a
: grey-green hue. They don't look like they will recover. As far as I know,
: the plant has not been repotted for two years and has received very
: little water. Can someone suggest the best course of action for this
: plant? Thank you.
:
: Chris Cosner
: c-cosner at uiuc.edu

1. Pull the plant out of its pot and examine its roots.  If you see
a tangled mess of roots, repot it in a pot 2" more in diameter.

2. Water the plant regularly-- it's not a cactus!  Stick your finger
in the soil and water it when the soil feels dry.

3. Feed it monthly or so during spring thru fall with an all-purpose
plant food, like Peters or Miracle-Gro.  Don't over feed to compensate
for neglect.

4. Give it moderate to high-filtered light.

5. Give it humidity in winter-- these plants hate dry air and drafts.

Jim Yorton           USDA Zone 5; Sunset Zone 41;    Palatine, IL USA
jjy at xnet.com                                 http://www.xnet.com/~jjy
Tropical Plant Page:                  http://www.xnet.com/~jjy/plants