Beta carotene Function

Paul J. Strieleman pstriele at midway.uchicago.edu
Thu May 1 10:45:29 EST 1997

I have a plant related question I can't find a good answer too.   If the
function of beta carotene is an accessory pigment for photosynthesis,
why is it in such high concentration in carrots (a root) or squash (a
fruit)?  I assume it has some other function in the plant but can't find
an answer.  If you have time to ponder this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul