POINSETTA HELP PLEASE!

chris freeman cfreeman at frontiernet.net
Sat Mar 29 09:36:40 EST 1997

CHANTEL at SONET.NET wrote:

> Hi..
> I don't usually read or post to this group, but my grandmother has a
> poinsetta left over from Christmast that she was wondering how to care
> for. The plant is huge..I am not a gardner or florist, but this is the
> biggest poinsetta I've ever seen. It is in a pot and was bought for my
> grandmother for Christmas.
>
> The plant has hung onto alot of it's red leaves, but it now almost
> bare. My grandmother was wondering what she could do to help this
> plant. Can she store it and keep it and let it bloom next Christmas,
> or is it just gone? Since I am not a plant person, I had no answers
> for her, but told her I would check the Internet..
>
> Also, could anyone tell us how to store this plant if it can be saved
> until next Christmas..
>
> Any help would be appreciated! Please respond by email and I do not
> usually come to this group!
> Thanks..
> Chantel
> chantel at sonet.net

If this is in a container, you probably want to transplant it.  At the
same time, feed it with balanced fertilizer, emphasis on Nitrogen.  Give
it plenty of direct sun, but avoid freezing temps.  You should get lots
of new green leaves.  About 6-8 weeks before Christmas, to get the
leaves to turn back to red, give the plant cooler temps. ~65 degrees F
and 12 hours of UNINTERRUPTED darkness every day.  This will cause it to
start blooming again.  Do not interrupt the dark phase, otherwise you
will prevent the leaves from turning color (this must be complete
darkness).  Hope this helps.

chris