spider plant & pests

Sean Stinson sstinson at uoguelph.ca
Wed Mar 19 10:59:32 EST 1997

	I am currently having trouble controlling
was appears to be an insect pest on my indoor
spiderplants (althought the pest has moved to some
of my other indoor plants).  A friend said the pest
was an insect called "scale" (sp?), they appear like
small ( 1mm across, 2 mm long), convex shields, that
are pale green (like the leaf background) at infancy,
and turn brown at maturity.  They seem to have a
preference for the "runners" that support the "spiders"
of the spider plant.  I believe they are capitalizing
on the nutrients provided to the young developping
"spiders" thru the runners from the parent plant.
	I have used carbamates to try and control the
problem.  The results are somewhat inconclusive...but
the pests have persisted.
	If anyone can identify this pest or has heard
of similar problems with spider plants.  I would
appreciate hearing from them.

	Sean Stinson.