Anthocyanins...I need help.

Leon Miguel lmiguel at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 5 06:17:44 EST 1997

: 5-glucoside).  Now, I'm going to use a spectrophotometer to graph stuff
:
: sure what a spectrophotometer does (like a good senior, I'm just following

A spectro shines light thru a sample and measures how much absorbed ie the
darker the solution, the greater the absorption of light. For example,
this could be used to measure the concentration of the anthocyanins, given
that they are colored and should absorb light. Obviously you will need to
extract them into a suitable solution.

Have a look at

 AUTHOR       Harris, David A.
 TITLE        Light spectroscopy / David A. Harris.
 PUBLISHED    Oxford : Bios, 1996.
 SUBJECT      Light beating spectroscopy.
              Spectroscopy.
 DESCRIPTION  x, 182 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
 ISBN         1872748341 (pbk) :
              1872748341.

for a good intro to the theory of spectros.

: of the plant pigment anthocyanin, for I have no clue, and I need a
: hypothesis.

Do you mean applying acid to the intact plant, or to the anthocyanins
after they are extracted? Alteriung the pH that the plant grows in should
cause a stress -> production of anthocyanins, or alternatively,
anthocyanins in solution may vary in colour as a direct effect of the pH
(like universal indicating solution)

Good luck

Leon

--
Leon Miguel
Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture (CLIMA)