Beginning of plant life

fmaguire fmaguire at indigo.ie
Mon Mar 3 15:41:09 EST 1997

It is a well known fact that plants are influenced by visible light.

If I plant a tray of seeds, I can watch the emerging seedlings follow
the sun across the sky.

However, what puzzles me is this....When the seeds germinate underground
(in the dark!), how do they know to grow upwards towards the sun?

Are they influenced by the earth's magnetic field, or by radiation
outside
the visible spectrum, or what?

Any ideas?