Ferns and genetics

Mike Barnes diversft at magicnet.net
Sat Jun 14 00:31:01 EST 1997

Jonathan and Lise wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been wondering for some time now how ferns actually evolve if they
> germinate themselves?
>
> Anybody know of an article or book on the subject?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
>         PMH.

Hi!

Inna nutshell, setting aside all "non-sporiferous" methods that ferns
use to survive:

Ferns don't "germinate themselves", their spores germinate into
prothallus/gametophyes which (typically) produce the sexual reproductive
cycle (and provide the ability to "evolve" the ensuing sporophyte).

Mike

PS: I think Lellinger's book "Ferns & Fern-allies of the United States &
Canada" (ISBN 0-87474-603-5) is a good intro...