Con de amor--- Cuban name for WHAT ?

Georges De Schryver deschrg at att.net.hk
Fri Jun 6 21:57:15 EST 1997

Further point,

The red seeds are fed to birds in cuba.  Maybe to improve song or as diet supplement.
The red seeds are sweet.

In Article Re: Con de amor--- Cuban name for WHAT ? , Jeff Shimonski <tropica1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
In article <01bc6fa3$0e5783a0$5b6164c3 at --->,
	"Stefan Berge" <valutron at algonet.se> wrote:

>My father has mentioned a plant that grows on Cuba (and in Florida) which
>they used to call  "Con de amor" (or similar, he didn´t tell me how to
>spell it).
>I wonder --- is there anyone out there who knows what plant this might be ?
>(It is a not a plant you normally has indoors, in his days it was
>considered a weed.)
>
>If you know, please tell me ! (If you know the latin name, it´s even
>better)   :-)
>
>/Stefan Berge, Sweden.
>(E-mail valutron at algonet.se)

 I belive your father might be speaking about Momordica charantia, the Wild Balsam Apple.
This vine is a weed although the fruit are very attractive, orange or bright yellow
that split to reveal red seeds. The fragrant leaves are brewed as a tea in the Islands for
various stomach aliments. It is common in south Florida, but cold temperatures, 40 degrees F
can kill it.
Jeff
http://www.tropicaldesigns.com
Have a great day...Georges

Check out these sites for images and information about Hong Kong:

http://geogweb.berkeley.edu/GeoImages/Semans/semansone.html
http://www.asiantravel.com/hongkong/images.html
http://www.scmp.com
http://www.hkta.org