White Plains / Lucent Tech. graft update

The Puddies puddies at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 27 19:12:24 EST 1997

    This is just a message to thank those who responded to my question
about the probably-grafted tree behind the City Hall in White Plains,
NY.  (I "broke" my computer installing a new SCSI card and had to post
this from my aunt's computer instead - I should have known not to put a
legacy card in an otherwise Plug and Play computer.)

I've attached an updated drawing so that anyone curious can confirm
their guesses (See attachment below).  The possibilities that people
came up with were elm, basswood, or linden.  To answer
dstaples at livingston.net, who wrote:

     >Kind a looks like basswood.  Whats the location, and does the
plant
     >have a persistant leafy bract holding a cluster of grey nut like
     >fruit?  Old bark ropey looking, young bark kind of smooth,

the tree is growing in neither a swampy nor an elevated area, but in a
level, well-drained courtyard.  There are no nuts, acorns, catkins,
flowers, or fruit of any kind on the tree at this time.  The bark
definitely looks ropey in the upper section of the tree (the youngest
bark, correct?), and the branches twist at 0 to 60-or-so degree angles,
forming a dense canopy, but the bark on the trunk of the tree is
smoother, more like a maple tree.  This doesn't sound like your
description.

I'm satisfied with "elm."  If there were plenty of elms around, this
tree's canopy probably wouldn't have awed us as it did.  Thanks again!

- Erik,
Lucent Technologies,
meowow at juno.com.