Need Help With Bugs!

Mon Jul 28 07:41:42 EST 1997

At 10:45 PM -0400 7/27/97, Fikeland wrote:
>Hi -
>
>Don't know if this is the right newsgroup to post this on but it's the
>only one that remotely matches the topic ...
>
>My houseplants are breeding tiny black gnats that are driving me crazy!  I
>was concerned it was the soil so I replanted every plant in the most
>expensive and clean potting soil my nursery carries.  Yet the gnats came
>back.  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get rid of this
>infestation.  (My nursery is stumped.)

My guess is fungus gnats.  They breed in over-watered
soil.  Their larvae are worm-like and feed on the
roots of plants.  I would first eliminate any standing
water in the area, then watch my watering to be sure
that I was NOT over-watering the plants.  There is a
formulation of BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) that is
supposed to kill them (Knocks Out, Gnatrol, etc as
commercial names), but I have not had these critters
as a problem since watching out for excess water in
my greenhouse.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479