How to kill English ivy?

feikema at ENG2.eng.monash.edu.au feikema at ENG2.eng.monash.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 20:34:16 EST 1997

In article <33d7fad7.1564553 at news.mindspring.com> ebs at mindspring.com (Eric Schweitzer) writes:
>From: ebs at mindspring.com (Eric Schweitzer)
>Subject: How to kill English ivy?
>Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 01:03:39 GMT

>I have an ocean of English ivy in my backyard that I would like to
>eliminate.  I tried pulling it up by the roots in a small area and
>quickly decided that that was not the way to get rid of 1/8 of an acre
>of it.  What chemical will kill it for good so I can plant native
>grasses, flowers and shrubs in its place?

Eric, you might like to try a glyphosate based herbicide (eg. Roundup). This
is quite environmentally friendly as it is foliar applied and is inactivated
when in contact with soil. It is non-selective ie. it kills everything (leaf)
it touches. All the best, Paul.