How to kill English ivy?

Fri Jul 25 09:13:50 EST 1997

At 9:03 PM -0400 7/24/97, Eric Schweitzer wrote:
>I have an ocean of English ivy in my backyard that I would like to
>eliminate.  I tried pulling it up by the roots in a small area and
>quickly decided that that was not the way to get rid of 1/8 of an acre
>of it.  What chemical will kill it for good so I can plant native
>grasses, flowers and shrubs in its place?

Mechanical ways are best, but if you really want a
chemical to do the trick, use roundup (glyphosate).

This product kills ALL plants.  Spray the foliage
and wait about two weeks.  It will all die.  Then
water and till your soil...use a rototiller...and
wait for a few rainfalls to start replanting.  I
think you'll find instructions with Roundup for
this kind of preparation.

Roundup is not particularly toxic to animals
including people, and its life in soil is short.
Please be careful with Roundup...it DOES kill all
plants except a few that have been genetically
engineered by Monsanto.  Remember, the roots to
your overarching trees and adjacent shrubs are
in that ground too!

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479