Fungus? Help?

winga winga at doitnow.com
Thu Jul 24 16:35:34 EST 1997

I have a green plant and a black thumb.  I think this must have rubbed off on my plant because it now has black leaves.  :(

I don't know what this is or how to treat it.  The plant is just a green potted plant I picked up somewhere - I don't know what it is, but it has big leaves, tapered at each end, attached to stalks that go right into the soil (or split off of other stalks).  *shrug*

Anyway, there's this strange thing that seems to be eating it up - it get black or "burned" looking on the ends of it's leaves, this spreads, and then starts going down the insides of the stalks to the roots.  It hasn't gotten to the roots yet - I finally started cutting them off to try and save the plant, but it definitely goes from the leaves to the roots, not the other way around.  The plant now has only 4 leaves (out of what used to be about 30 or 40), and I have hope because it's been sprouting new leaves.  However, after a week or so, I've had to cut off the sprouting leaves because they get this black crud and start contaminating the rest of the plant.

How do I stop this?  I don't want to use chemicals, but I will if I have to.  I'd rather keep the plant alive.  It hasn't spread to other plants in the vicinity yet.  I'm assuming it's a fungus or something.

Please respond to email: winga at doitnow.com

Amy Wing
winga at doitnow.com