Squash Vine Borers and Bt-Injections

Jay T. Gilliam gilliamjt at phibred.com
Thu Jul 24 09:51:13 EST 1997

I planted a large pumpkin patch this year and just discovered that
many of my plants are wilting & dying.  Upon closer examination I
found the culprit to be Squash Vine Borers that are inside the main
tap stem near ground level.  I've read the only way to get rid of them
is to make a slit in the vine and physically remove them, then cover
the vine with soil.  I had a less invasive idea but wasn't sure if it
would work.
Has anyone ever tried to inject a Bt-solution into the vine with a
small-bore needle??  It seems like it should work, provided the Bt can
reach the larvae and doesn't harm the plant.
Please let me know if this has worked for anyone or of any other ideas
that anyone has.  Thanks ahead of time.

Jay Gilliam
gilliamjt at phibred.com