Can someone identify this graft?

Peter and Evelyn Ruut puddies at ny.frontiercomm.net
Tue Jul 15 19:29:10 EST 1997

Hi,

    In the courtyard behind the Town Hall in White Plains, NY, are two
trees, both of which appear to be two *kinds* of trees grafted
together.  My co-workers and I are curious about the upper half of these
trees, which form a dense canopy of interlocking branches.

    The bark changes slightly in texture and color at about eye level,
and the trunk changes from nearly round to amoeba-shaped, thus our
suspicion that it's a graft.  As you can see from the attached scan, the
leaf is toothed and oval.  What you can't see from the scan, and can't
easily see when looking at the leaf either, is that there is a fine coat
of hair on the top of the leaves.  When you brush your finger in the
direction of the tip of the leaf, it feels like a peach, but brush your
finger in the other direction, and it feels like a cat's tongue or
stinging nettle.  There are no acorns, fruit, or catkins as far as I can
tell.

    Thanks from the guys at Lucent Technologies.

- Erik,
c/o puddies at ny.frontiercomm.net.