Root + microorganism (curious about)

Raquel eowyn at bug.fe.up.pt
Wed Jul 16 16:42:48 EST 1997

I was studying for an exam, one of these days, and I came across
something that stood on my mind for hours, because I could not see the
connection.

I was studying the probable future effect of an increase of CO2 on the
environment, and I came across the following, roughly translated,
relation: an increase of CO2 would promote growth [of plants in
forests or natural environments], being one of many reasons the
reduction of nutritive stress (is that the correct term in english?
:/). One of the factors contributng for this was the increase of
nutrient absortion through root/microorganism associations.

My question is what on earth does the increase of CO2 have to do with
better root/microorganism association? Do those microorganisms
increase with CO2? (I'd never have guessed!). Or am I putting aside
other factors (such as temperature increase that seems to be
indissociable from a CO2 increase) that I should not?

Any help is gratefully apreciated :)
Best wishes
**Raquel "Eowyn" Correia**