Flowering Neanthe Bella Palm

Carl E. Lewis cel12 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 12 23:24:16 EST 1997

In article <01bc8d0e$69ac7660$031eaecc at boojumba>, "Gooblet"
<gooblet at mindlink.net> wrote:

>Well, what first looked like a horrible lumpy green spider-alien crawling
>out of my plant has turned into many tiny yellow flowers. I assume there
>will be seeds at some point, but I can't find any info on collecting the
>seeds or growing new palms from seed. Any advice?

I hate to disappoint you, but the flowers will probably drop without forming
any seeds.  The neanthe bella palm (Chamedorea elegans) is dioecious,
meaning male flowers and female flowers are on separate plants.  Of course
you will only get seeds if your plant is female, but even then you will need
a male plant as a source of pollen.

If you are interested in growing palms from seed, check the "Palms of the
World" web page at http://www.pe.net/~maxson/ .  It has a few links to palm
seed sources.

- Carl