Aluminum Tolerance Engineered in Plants

Wayne Parrott wparrott at uga.cc.uga.edu
Sun Jul 13 12:24:52 EST 1997

Tomas Saraceni wrote:

> I detest mistificators!
> Aluminium is not a metal it is a metalloid
> It is not< for long , the most abundant su bstance in earth. Iron is.
> All the other data are not wrong, but taked from "readers Digest"\Try to
> learn well before you Write!!

Wait a minute Tomas.  Learn to be more tolerant of others, and grant
them the courtesy to make mistakes, especially when you do not have the
facts straight yourself.  In first place, my dictionary clearly lists
aluminium and iron as "metallic elements", while defining a metalloid as
"A nonmetallic element that has some of the chemical properties of a
metal, such as arsenic, or than can form an alloy with metals, such as
carbon."

In second place, the article you are referring to was in the context of
limitations to plant growth, and aluminum is the most abundant metal in
the earth's crust, which happens to be where crops are grown.

Finally, I see nothing wrong with taking the 'Reader's Digest' approach
(in this case, the source was NBIAP, not Reader's Digest).  For those
who want a more technical article, the original was published in
Science, and you can read it there.

Because aluminum toxicity is such a major problem around the world, this
is a major breakthrough.  The original poster of this message did
everyone a service by getting the news out as soon as possible.  Thus,
take this in the spirit with which it was intended-- that of being
helpful.