unexpected seed coat change

P Rose prose at northcoast.com
Thu Jul 10 00:49:47 EST 1997

In 1993 I planted some 5000 Year Old Cave Beans.  I grew them in my
garden, in the city, with no other bean plants around.
	I grew beans from the 1993 harvest in 1994.  When I harvested my 1994
crop I noticed that some of the seed coats were different.  In '94 I
grew some Scarlet Runner beans and they were in bloom at the same time
as the Caves.  I thought the Runner was Phaseolus coccineus and would
not cross with the Caves,  Phaseolus vulgairs. (Ref.  Seed to Seed by
Suzanne Ashworth page 136)  The coats were unmistakably a cross between
the 2 beans.  Upon further investigation, I discovered that the name
runner was just a name and not the species.
	As you all know, seed coat is a product of the first generation and
therefore would not show up until the second planting.  I am sure that
the beans were not crossed in the 1993 growing.
	I have since discussed this anomaly with both my Botany professor and
the genetics professor at Humboldt State University.  They say that I
had to have crossed the beans in '93 and they refuse to believe me.  I
know that the beans were not crossed the first year and that something
unusual has occurred....  I want to know what it is.
	I have 42 of the Caves that a friend grew from my '93 harvest in his
garden in '94 separate from my "crossed" beans.  They do not exhibit the
seed coat change.  I have 401 Caves with changed coats and 1011 Caves
with no/(marginal) coat change and 53 runt beans.  I also have 78
Scarlet Runner beans that were undoubtedly crossed with the Cave beans
but show no seed coat change.  This is the total of my '94 harvest.
	  I want to design a research program to perhaps determine what
happened genetically to the Caves.  I am writing because I need to find
someone that has the expertise and is willing to help me design and
carry out a research program.
	I don't know any people in the bean genetics business but I hope that
someone can at least send me in some direction.  I have been sitting on
this for 3 years and I am still positive that there is something unusual
happening and am anxious to understand what it is.
	Thank you for your time.  Any help that you can give me will be
appreciated.

--
    ?                   Don't recycle.  Reuse.
   @ @
(       )  prose at northcoast.com    <--->   par7 at axe.humboldt.edu
  ^  ^