Identify my plant?

Gooblet gooblet at mindlink.net
Tue Jul 8 00:36:14 EST 1997

I bought a plant, described only as "tropical" on the tag. It is currently
about 12 inches high and has 3 main stems emerging from the soil. The main
stems are about 3/16" wide, green and grow fairly straight up. Leaves grow
all along the length of the main stem, each leaf attached by a short (1/2")
stem. Near the top of the plant, these stems change from green to almost
entirely red. The leaves themselves are about 6 inches long and 1/2-3/4"
wide with slightly wavy edges and a smooth, waxy texture. The most
distinctive part of the plant is that the leaves are a dark green and
covered with various amounts of yellow splotching. The yellow is quite
bright and ranges from distinct spots to blotches which blur together to
form an almost totally yellow leaf.

If anyone can identify this plant and tell me how to look after it, I would
appreciate it! Also, I would like to know if it is poisonous, as I have
pets.

Could somebody also confirm the non-poisonousness of the following plants:

Polka-Dot Plant
Mother-In-Law's Tongue
Baby Tears
Grave Ivy
Pothos

I have a list of poisonous plants, but I worry it's not as complete as I
might want it to be! Books that give info on the care of these plants don't
seem to mention poisonousness.

Thanks! Please send a copy of your answer via e-mail.

gooblet at mindlink.net