strange botanical phenomenon

Richard Tschumpel rtschump at at.oracle.com
Tue Jul 8 02:10:59 EST 1997

Hello folks,

a friend of mine encountered a strange botanical phenomenon and ask me
to post it to the internet. Please see the pictures in my posted article
in bionet.plants, bionet.biology.grasses or sci.bio.botany from 01.07.97
also titled 'strange bonanical phenomenon'. Here is his text:

-----------------------

In July 1996 the following was observed on a slope about 3 m in width,
situated between a
road ditch and the adjacent forest near Schärding, Upper Austria
(Europe): seven carpets of
moss, sized from 0.5 to 2 m2, distributed along a distance of about 1
km, in which strips of
high, vigorous growth alternated with parallel strips in which growth
was comparatively lower
and slenderer. The presence of grass of the usual height seemed to rule
out cutting or grazing
as possible causes of this alternation.

Suggestions that might contribute to an eventual explanation of this
phenomenon are cordially
invited.

By the way: sorry for posting pictures to a non-binary group and thanx a
lot in advance.

You might also want to reply directly to me:
email: rtschump at at.oracle.com

Regards,
Richard