Cypripedium transplantation; micorhizae

thomas merchant tm37atacme.gatech.edu at dont.spam.me
Sun Jul 6 09:55:54 EST 1997

On Sat, 05 Jul 1997 01:00:23 -0500, Ken Spruell
<kspruell at mail.wwisp.com> wrote:

>Has anyone in the US (or any where else) had much luck in transplanting
>Lady Slippers (Cypripedium sp.) to a home garden?  I've been told that

PLEASE do not even TRY transplanting any wild orchids. If you must
have orchids in your garden, there are many growers that specialize in
cultivating orchids for this very purpose. For every orchid that you
dig up, that is one less orchid that no one will see in the wild
again. The chance for survival of the orchid is not very good.

Coming upon an orchid in the wild is a treat for anyone capable of
identifying it. The ONLY case for attempting a transplant is when the
ground it is growing on is condemned to developments. Even then,
please confer with someone knowledgable in the plant and process.

You sound knowledgable, for not everybody recognizes the special
relationship between mycorrhizae and orchids. If you are this well
informed, you should know how fragile this relationship is. Again,
there are orchid cultivation experts that can advise you, and sell you
cultivated orchids, even the Cypripedium sp. you may find in local
woods.

You may wish to check out the following:
http://www.newnorth.net/~mruh/
http://itl-2.ucsf.edu/na_board/na_board.html

Please don't take offense in my statements. I would rather see a wild
orchid in the wild where it belongs than a thousand in a garden. I
know this sounds selfish, especially if I do not own the land. But if
the land is public property, i.e. land that you do not own, you don't
have the right to deprive others of the joy of seeing that orchid.
Again, if you must have orchids in your garden or in your private
woods, please don't get them from the wild!