Do houseplants filter air?

Roy McCandless mccandless at uthscsa.edu
Wed Jan 29 02:22:34 EST 1997

Michael Peterson wrote:

> Hello,
>     I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask but here goes. Do
> houseplants improve the air quality within a home. Aside from producing
> oxygen, do they also filter out any toxins or irritants? Are there any
> publications that rate or suggest different types of houseplants for this
> purpose? I'm not looking for very technical information, just comparitive
> stuff that would help someone that wants to select plants on more than
> just asthetics.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Peterson

Taking this question one step further....The popular press at one time
reported that presence of plants increased potential for mold, but
recently reported that no mold results.  What is the lay consumer to
think?  So, professors and grad students, what's the real story about
indoor plants, air cleansing, and mold?

Roy
Facts from this source are invented. Opinions are not my own.