Discouraging bunnies

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 13:12:26 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/plants #3412, from sam.scheiner at asu.edu, 2123 chars, Thu  23
Jan 1997 08:15:04 -0
> ----------
> Article: 11998 of bionet.plants
> From: "Samuel M. Scheiner" <sam.scheiner at asu.edu>
> Newsgroups: sci.bio.ecology,sci.bio.botany,bionet.plants
> Subject: Discouraging bunnies
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:15:04 -0800
>
> I need some advice on how to keep rabbits out of our recently planted
> experimental garden. We have just set up a long-term study of
saltbush.
> Because these plants are shrubs, the garden is _big_ (ca 2 ha). The
> problem is that the young plants are a tasty morsel for the
jackrabbits
> and cottontails. We need some economical method to keep the bunnies
out
> of the garden.
>
> At the moment I have two possibilities. (1) My wife years ago heard
that
> moth crystals (napthalene) will keep bunnies out of a garden if
sprinkled
> around the edge. (2) I know that one can buy coyote scent
commercially. I
> thought that might spook them. We do have coyotes here. They were
> actually a problem last summer going after the irrigation system for
> water. But, that is another issue.
>
> So, I would appreciate any feedback on either my current ideas or any
> others that you might have.
>
> Thanks, Sam
>
> --

> Samuel M. Scheiner
> Dept. of Life Sciences (2352)   P.O. Box 37100
> Arizona State University West   Phoenix, AZ 85069
> Tel: 602-543-6934               Fax: 602-543-6073

> E-mail: sam.scheiner at asu.edu
> http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/botany/faculty/scheiner.html

I've had a past student who has been trying to get me interested in Lion
dung for similar reasons. His idea is that this acts as a powerful
deterrent so as soon as some clever GLC analyst comes up with the magic
compound the synthetic boys can go into action.
My fear is that Lion dung simply comes in large portions so the bunnies
take one look and say "**** ! That's one hell of a big coyote - must
have eaten a lot of bunnies to get THAT big - maybe we'll go someplace
else".
Peter Harris,
Reading, UK.