YOUR OPINION? Scientists' effect on biodiversity legislation

Mary Ann Cushman cushmam at okstate.edu
Fri Jan 24 18:46:45 EST 1997

Another two bits.
You may also want to try looking at the latest issue of Nature for an article on the possibility that there
may be extinction hotspots worldwide and in the U.S. Two examples in the U.S. included south Florida
and Hawaii--both tropical and extremely crowded with *people*. The significance of that is that regulations
may be tailored to specific regions of the country. Unfortunately, that means that some wonderful, rare
things would still go extinct if they happen to occur only in areas with minimal protection. But I guess we
have to make room for more people, and more people, and more people...Sorry, I don't recall the authors,
but if you go to National Public Radio Morning Edition at

http://www.npr.org

you can check the program information for today, 1/23/97.
Elitist...:-{
Who would know better about biodiversity than scientists? They are, after all, the only reason everyone else
has ever heard the term biodiversity. I know I wouldn't want to live on earth if there were nothing but us
humans...
Mer