Inf about teaberry, andes blackberry and black mulberry

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Jan 24 10:55:19 EST 1997

In article <32E6169E.45F3 at best.ms.philips.com>,
J. Snelten <jsnelten at best.ms.philips.com> wrote:
>Who can help me about information of the Tea berry, Andes Black Berry
>
>and Black Mulberry.
>
>I want to know how frost sensitive they are.
>
>What kind of soil they need.

You will get better info if you can find the scientific names for these
plants.

There are probably many plants named Tea berry, but the one called that
in eastern North America is most likely Gaultheria procumbens, also known
as wintergreen.  It likes extremely acid forest soil and a cool moist
environment.  It is native in climates much colder than that of the Netherlands.

Not sure which mulberry you are interested in.  I am aware of Morus rubra,
M. nigra and M.alba.  The name doesn't necessarily indicate the color of
the fruit.  The ones here in Toronto are semi-feral and have black fruit.
There are selected cultivars for fruit quality too, but some people grow
mulberries in hopes of distracting birds from their cherry trees.  I recall
that one species of mulberry is less hardy than the other, but can't remember
which.  I think all three would be hardy in your country.

You should be aware that mulberries are extremely messy trees - people will
pick up fallen berries on their shoes and track them into the house and
permanently stain rugs, etc.  Also, the berries go through birds very rapidly
and result in purple stains on pavements, cars and elsewhere.  They can be
weedy and the seeds are spread by birds.  The mulberries we have here have
no trouble growing in bad compacted soil, in cracks in pavement, etc.

Can't help you with the blackberries.

>Where I can buy these plants. (preferably in The Netherlands)

Can't help you with this, but you may be able to buy seeds.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada