dandelions a threatened species?

Roger Whitehead rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 08:57:57 EST 1997

> I just saw a newspaper clipping that states that dandelions (Taraxacum
> officinale) are a threatened species in the United Kingdom.
>
> Is there anyone in the U.K. who can corroborate this claim?

Have you ever encountered the British expression, "Pulling your leg"?
That's exactly what's happening here. 8-)

The dandelion is flourishing in Britain, to the extent that many a
gardener and groundsman wishes it _were_ an endangered species. For
myself, I've always believed that if it were rarer, people would stop to
look at it properly and see just how beautiful it is, both in flower and
in fruit.

Roger

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX
Tel: +44 1883 713074; fax +44 1883 716793
.