forcing bulbs

jtkoepke at pacbell.net jtkoepke at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 2 17:37:14 EST 1997

forcing bulbs is actually very easy. My wife and I did it for the first
time this year after seeing a newspaper article. Most nurseries should
be able to give you some information on this. Many garden sections of
department/hardware stores will have kits you can buy, not as good a
deal as buying the bulb yourself, and finding something to set it in.
The bulbs need to be refridgerated for a week or two to make them think
they have gone through winter. Many nurseries sell pre-seasoned bulbs
just for forcing. I planted narcicus (paper whites) in a regular pot
with potting soil and a layer of sand on top. The bulbs should have the
top third poking out of the soil if you use soil. You can also get small
forcing vases. These work best with plants like hyacinth that grow
fairly symetrical, since there is nothing to hold the roots.

jtk