mycorrhizae tolerance to fertilizer

don at bio-organics.com don at bio-organics.com
Thu Jan 2 08:45:08 EST 1997

Eric Grunden wrote:

> In a previous article, don at bio-organics.com () says:
>
> >So far, we are certain that our inoculant has a dramatic effect on
> >desert sands that are being converted into crop lands.
>
>                         *******
>
> Don,
>
> Last year I read a very short article about a new substance that
> has been developed called Biogel that was devised to halt the
> movement of shifting sand dunes. Supposedly the gel holds the
> sand in place AND allows plants to grow. The article made sure
> to mention that even mycorrhizal associations were observed
> forming in the gel/sand mix. Perhaps the makers of Biogel could
> mix some of your innoculant right into the gel to speed up the
> process. I wish I could remember more of the details. I can't
> remember the publication or the name of the company. Maybe a
> web search of "Biogel" or "sand dunes", etc. might turn up
> something for you. Good luck....

Thanks, Eric.  I'll look for them.  BTW, one of the major reasons that
the mycorrhizal fungi is so useful when planting into sand is that its
hyphae form a stable biomass around plant roots rather quickly.  This
has an important "binding" action, which then holds both moisture and
nutrients in the root zone.  This physical effect on the soil structure
is at least as important as the fungi's ability to gather & regulate the
uptake of nutrients, at least when dealing with blow sand.

Don Chapman
Bio/Organics Supply Center
Camarillo CA
<http://www.bio-organics.com>