trees

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 31 17:15:25 EST 1996

In <mgarcia-3105960955210001 at mshslife13.sisnet.ssku.k12.ca.us>
mgarcia at sisnet.ssku.k12.ca.us (Mandy Garcia) writes:

>Hi, we our a couple of Mt. Shasta High School Students doing a Biology
>report.  We are looking for research/information on trees.  Our
reports
>have to do with planting, thinning and spacing of trees per acre in a
>forest.  How does thinning effect a trees growth?  My report is based
>mainly on Pondarosa Pines. And, How does spacing effect a trees
growth?
>If you could send us some information we would really appreciate it.
>Thanks a lot.
>Kami Gray
>Mandy Garcia

Ponderosa pines are large trees when grown fully. The minimum spacing
for free growth is 50 to 60 feet at maturity. If the trees are
harvested before maturation the spacing may be cut down to 25 or 30 ft.

"Plant thick and thin quick" is not advisable unless one is aiming at a
"natural" grove effect. Trees compete for water and nutrients. They
should be spaced at leat ten feet appart from their "drip line"....an
imaginary circle that encompasses the largest diameter of the foliage.

Hope this helps........Ref USDA yearbook 1949.