ID needed, funny grape

Eleanor "Sam" Saulys SaulysER at MASPO2.MAS.YALE.EDU
Thu May 30 13:51:06 EST 1996

I was hiking on a downslope of Mt Higby in CT last weekend and came across a
couple of strange looking items. I did not spot the tree or bush from which
they fell/rolled; they may have even been carried onto the trail by
another hiker (unlikely).

The item has the size and feel of a ripe, green grape. It has spots - dark
brown or purple. The little piece of stem attached was woody. Inside, instead
of finding fruit substance, there was a small pithy core about the size of a
match head and it was held in place by numerous filaments extending out to the
interior walls of this 'grape'.

Anyone out there have a clue? I found two of these, but the only trees I could
identify above me were chestnut oaks.

Thanks!