Quick question for the Plant folk

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 28 17:04:20 EST 1996

In <DrtIr0.28B at cix.compulink.co.uk> ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk ("K N and
P J Harris") writes:

>> ==========
>> bionet/plants #1414, from vlawm at mail.fuse.net, 968 chars, Fri  17
May
>1996 16:03:57 -0
>> ----------
>> Article: 9935 of bionet.plants
>emon!news.sprintlink.net!new-news.sprintlink.net!news.fuse.net!news
>> From: Vance & Lisa Lawman <vlawm at mail.fuse.net>
>> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
>> Subject: Quick question for the Plant folk
>> Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:03:57 -0700
>>
>> Hi, I'm writing a story and I need a little help. I used to live
>> in southwestern West Virginia and there's a plant there, a vine, I
>think
>> it was Japanese Honeysuckle, and I don't remember it having much of
>> smell, just kind of a vague sweetness. Does that sound right? If I'm

>> wrong, what does it smell like? Do I have the right newsgroup?
>>
>> Thanks everybody,
>> Vance
>Hello Vance,
>The Royal Horticultural Society has the following description of
>"Japanese Honeysuckle".
>Lonicera japonica. (Aureo-reticulata) is an evergreen or
semi-evergreen,
>twining climber with soft-haired, woody stems. Height to 30 feet.
Frost
>hardy. Oval sometimes lobed leaves are bright green with bright yellow

>veins. Fragrant long tubed white flowers becoming yellowish are
produced
>in summer-autumn. Is useful for hiding a tree stump or an unsightly
wall
>or fence. A variety "Halliana" is mentioned.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Peter Harris
>Reading, UK.

Also like to comment that plain wild honeysuckle grows from Virginia
down through the southeast US. A climbing vine, white or pink flowers
very sweet smelling especially in the evening hours during mid-spring.
As Peter pointed-out, it is easily domesticated and used as cover
because below 35 deg N it is evergreen in the moist southeast winters.

Mike Roginsky, aka Mcro.