Can you ID plant called "mespealis"/"mespelus"?

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 28 06:17:36 EST 1996

Maarten van Helden wrote:

> >> Ran across a reference to a plant called "mespealis" (also spelled
> >> "mespelus") in a historical document from the 1860s and cannot figure
> >> out what kind of plant this is, nor even the correct spelling.
> >>
> >> I believe the fruit of this plant (or tree?) was edible and grew in
> >> tropical or subtropical regions (such as Louisiana and Cuba).
>
> Well my guess would be *Mespilus germanica* (and I think I am right), a small
> tree or large bush with edible fruits, the size of walnuts. native to europe,
> but often grown for the fruits. Fruits can be eaten when very ripe, almost
> rotting.

I think the English common name is 'Medlar'

....Andy

 Email  : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at cycad.demon.co.uk     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/andy.html