Can you ID plant called "mespealis"/"mespelus"?

Mike Hardman mike at ionia.demon.co.uk
Sun May 26 13:42:01 EST 1996

Shane K. Bernard wrote:

> Ran across a reference to a plant called "mespealis" (also spelled
> "mespelus") in a historical document from the 1860s and cannot figure
> out what kind of plant this is, nor even the correct spelling.
>
> I believe the fruit of this plant (or tree?) was edible and grew in
> tropical or subtropical regions (such as Louisiana and Cuba).
>
> Please reply if you have info on this species to:
> skb8721 at tam2000.tamu.edu
>
> Thanks,
>
> SKB

I forgot from my previous reply:

There is also Mespilus germanica - Medlar - a fruit tree related to apple and pear; it
has larger white flowers and smaller brown fruit.  Used to be grown in England in ages
past more than today.  It is said the fruit is only edible once the frost has been at it
(once it has been 'bletted').  I have only tried making jelly from it - rather good.

Cheers,