What kind of advice is that??? (was: transplanting question)

Chris Kafer ckafer at iastate.edu
Wed May 22 23:11:47 EST 1996

slimboli at ccnet.com wrote:

>Just taking it out of the pot, even if it was a struggle, most likely did not do much damage.  I have a degree
>in Lanscaping and Horticulture, am a California Certified Nursery Proffessional and have worked in a 112
>year old nursery in California for 5 years.

>It WILL go through minor transplant shock...

>Go to your local nursery and get a small bottle of Transplant Starter.  It consists of B-1, 3-10-3 fertilizer and a
>wetting agent (surfactant).  Some even have oxygen in it that is made available to the roots.

B-1 will do NOTHING for your plant and its transplant shock.  It is an
old wives tale and helps nurseries make a profit.  Keep it moist and
in partial shade (if it is a sun plant) until it perks up a bit (shows
new growth) and  it should be just fine.  Forget the expensive junk
most nurseries push.

One should never "hack" a plant.  Buy a good book on pruning such as
the "Sunset" series.

>DO NOT hack it back... it will take far longer to recover from that drastic of a mutilation than the damage
>you did to the roots.

Chris Kafer                      Lab:  2228 Mol. Bio. Bldg.
523 Northwestern ave.            Ph#:  515-294-8626
Ames, IA  50010                 http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ippm
Ph# 515-233-9371		http://www.public.iastate.edu/~thorn