How to get Giant Sequoias to Germany?

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Mon May 20 15:06:33 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #1373, from helge at studserv.stud.uni-hannover.de, 1005
chars, Tue  14 May 1996 14:20:28 -0
> ----------
> Article: 9894 of bionet.plants
> From: helge at studserv.stud.uni-hannover.de (Helge Kosuch)
> Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany,bionet.plants
> Subject: How to get Giant Sequoias to Germany?
> Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:20:28 -0400
>
> I would love to plant some Giant Sequoias on our meadows. I think
> they should grow in Germanys climate.
> But how can I get some to Germany? Our biggest tree selling company
> doesn't have them.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> THANX.
>
> Cheeeazz,
> Have fun,
> Helge.
>
> :) At least my cows are sane :)
>
> PS: Follow-Ups on my newspostings ALSO VIA EMAIL, please.

Hi Helge,
Can't supply trees but a firm here in UK does the seed.
Try contacting :-
Chiltern Seeds,
Bortree Stile,
Ulverston,
Cumbria LA12 7PB

They can supply seed of Sequoia gigantea (Wellingtonia) and Sequoia
sempervirens. The latter described as "easy from seed" and reaches 1M in
first year.
Their e-mail address is 101344.1340 at compuserve.com
I have no commercial connection but they have been providing me with all
sorts of odd seed for years. Their catalogue is a really good read (no
pictures, you make them in your mind).
I hope all is well at Herrenhauser str. I was lucky enough to spend 4
weeks in Hanover a few years back working at the Buntehof. My contact
was Dr G Trolldenier who is now connected with the Soils dept at
Herrenhauser. It would be very useful (if you come across him) to
introduce him to the e-mail system so that I can communicate.
My work e-mail is P.J.Harris at reading.ac.uk

Bye

Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading, UK.

PS Our cows aren't mad, they're furious !!!