Kiwi

Sean Barry ez010780 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Thu May 16 10:38:48 EST 1996

Bill Conrad (choplift at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: 	we have two Kiwi plants (A male and a female) and they are not
: producing any fruit.  The plants are growing well which would seem to
: indicate that they are happy.  Is there some trick as to get them to
: flower and them product fruit?

How old are the plants?  Ours did not start producing until they were at
least four years old (i.e., three years after we planted them from
bareroot) and they did not produce substantially for another year after
that.  Ours are in the central valley of California, about 40 miles south
of the southernmost major commercial plantings.  Winters are very mild,
frosts very sporadic (maybe 4-5 very short-lived frosts per winter), but
clearly enough chilling for all sorts of fruit.

Sean Barry