Tarayacum spectable Dahlst Question

rick strimbeck gstrimbe at moose.uvm.edu
Tue May 14 16:15:37 EST 1996

In article <shape5-3004961001240001 at s5-222.bloomington.k12.mn.us>,
shape5 at primenet.com (Rich) wrote:

> Here's an interesting challenge to someone out there... Can anyone tell me
> the approx. number of petals that are on a dandelion flower? I REALLY NEED
> AN ANSWER TO THIS - its not a joke... THANKS in advance

If you're interested in the number of flowers on a head, they're probably
arranged in spirals. Take a dandelion that's gone to seed, blow off all
the seeds, count the number of dots in a spiral, count the number of
spirals, and multiply. For more info, read about Fibonacci series in a
good dendrology text.

--
Rick Strimbeck
University of Vermont