Monster Cactus

Charles Hesselein chessele at acenet.auburn.edu
Mon May 13 11:20:41 EST 1996

>I have a 6'3" cactus currently living in a plastic pot that is 13" in
diameter.
>The cactus has been in this pot since I got him about 3 years ago.  He doesn't
>look unhappy, but he's beginning to list alittle toward the sun.  I've jammed
>a paperback book underneath one side of the pot to keep him straight.  I have
>a couple of questions:

>1.  How do I know if he needs to be repotted?

>2.  How do you repot a 6'3'' cactus that weights about 100 pounds?

>Any help would be appreciated!  Please respond to "asg434 at pond.com".
>Thanks!

If your plant is starting to fall over that's a good sign that it's time
to repot it.  Wrap the cactus up with MANY layers of newspaper so that
you don't impale yourself while repotting.  Then get a friend or two to
help lift the plant.

Good Luck!

Chazz
*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    chesssele at acenet.auburn.edu          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *