Monster Cactus

asg424 asg434 at pond.com
Mon May 13 22:56:00 EST 1996

>Even though your cactus doesn't look unhappy, I'm sure that it would
>apperciate a larger pot.  Seems like it would be top-heavy and fall over.
>
>The best method I can think of to repot your cactus is to wrap it in
>blankets, canvas, etc. and get a good friend to help you lift it.
>
>The cacti that I've had for 3+ years are still relatively small and
>slow-growers.  What type of cactus is it?  And how do you get a cactus to
>reach 6'3" in 3 years???
>
>B. Celmer
>btcelmer at ucdavis.edu

I'm not sure what kind of cactus it is . . . got him at a mall parking lot plant sale.
At the time he was maybe 5 feet.  He's living in a mostly-glass room in my apartment
and gets a tremendous amount of sun (in fact, all of the cacti in that room grow rapidly).

Many folks have suggested wrapping the cactus in blankets, newspapers, etc. and lifting
it out of the pot for replanting.  Won't I risk breaking off needles and/or limbs (cactus,
not human)?

Also, the plant is not really off balance yet, so I'm not really sure it needs repotting.
Are there rules of thumb I can use (e.g., if the plant is X feet high, use a pot Y inches
in diameter).  I'd like to put off repotting as long as possible.  Thanks.