Monster Cactus

Bret Celmer btcelmer at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 13 18:23:36 EST 1996

In article <4mlagl$96f at fish.phl.pond.com>, asg434 at pond.com says...

>I have a 6'3" cactus currently living in a plastic pot that is 13" in
diameter.
>The cactus has been in this pot since I got him about 3 years ago.  He
doesn't
>look unhappy, but he's beginning to list alittle toward the sun.  I've
jammed
>a paperback book underneath one side of the pot to keep him straight.  I
have
>a couple of questions:
>
>1.  How do I know if he needs to be repotted?
>
>2.  How do you repot a 6'3'' cactus that weights about 100 pounds?
>
>Any help would be appreciated!  Please respond to "asg434 at pond.com".
>Thanks!

Even though your cactus doesn't look unhappy, I'm sure that it would
apperciate a larger pot.  Seems like it would be top-heavy and fall over.

The best method I can think of to repot your cactus is to wrap it in
blankets, canvas, etc. and get a good friend to help you lift it.

The cacti that I've had for 3+ years are still relatively small and
slow-growers.  What type of cactus is it?  And how do you get a cactus to
reach 6'3" in 3 years???

B. Celmer
btcelmer at ucdavis.edu