Citrosa??

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Mon May 13 16:54:46 EST 1996

In article <4mnmot$92s at cougar.olivet.edu> "Gregory J. Long, Ph.D." <glong at olivet.edu> writes:

>My mother and father-in-law have just bought a flat of plants called
>Citrosa.  The garden center employee told them that this plant will repel
>mosquitos.  When you touch the leaves it does seem to leave a citronella
>odor on your hand.  Does anybody know anything else about these plants?
>The gardener thinks they are in the geranium family, but I can't find
>anything about them in my usual sources of horticulture information.  The
>claim is that one plant will protect a 100 square foot area against
>mosquitos.  Any info appreciated.

It's a scented geranium, possibly a cross with the rose geranium as one
parent.  It's an attractive plant with a pleasant smell, but don't count
on it having a big effect on the mosquito count.  They are not hardy, but
you can overwinter them indoors.

Richter's Herbs sells them, and the catalog has a good description including
a recounting (and debunking) of the urban legend that the plants are the
result of genetic engineering experiments.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada