Moringa oleifera info

Jayasankar Subramanian KARAIKUDI at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 10 19:42:00 EST 1996

Moringa is a widely used vegetable in south India and Sri Lanka. The
young fruits and leaves are rich in vitamins (B,C &E) and iron. Fruits
have sulfur compounds also and is considered as an aphrodisiac. Although
propagated traditionally by cutting (pollards?), seeds are used now. A
perennial tree, but now cultivated annually thanks largely to the release
of an annual moringa from the Horticultural College and research
Institute, Tamilnadu Agrl. Univ., Periyakulam in India. It prefers well
drained soils in general; does well in red clay and black soils; can
tolerate dry spells. Major pest: fruit fly.Sometime back (late 80's) I
read an interesting article about the seeds of moringa (in "The Hindu"
Daily Newspaper). Powdered seeds exhibited water clarifying and purifying
properties according to this article. Eventually it generated some
interest from some European institutes who had visited the College in
1989-90. In southern Tamilnadu it is grown over 5000 acres and the fruits
are shipped throughout India and also exported to middle East. Canned
moringa fruits are available at most Indian Grocery Stores in US &Canada
and fresh fruits are occasionally available. More information can be had
from Dr. S.Sambandhamoorthy, Dean, Horticultural College, Periyakulam
625601, Madurai District, Tamilnadu, India. Unfortunately this college
does not have a fax or internet facilities so far. I might be able to
help if you have any specific questions as I worked in the above college
before coming here.