propagating citrus

Randall P. Niedz rniedz at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon May 6 07:36:58 EST 1996

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Charles wrote:

> Gregory J. Long, Ph.D. wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't knoiw about cuttings, but citrus are very easy to propagate
from seeds.

> How about limes? I have yet to buy a lime that contains any seeds.

Limes are divided into 2 general groups - sweet or acidless (e.g.
'Palestine' sweet lime) and sour or acid.  The sweet limes have little
commercial importance as they taste insipid to most people.  They are popular
in India and the Near East.  The acid limes are further divided into 2
groups - small-fruited (e.g. 'West Indian,' 'Mexican,' or 'Key' lime) and
the large-fruited ('Tahiti,' or 'Persian').  The large-fruited acid limes
are more common in food stores.  The large-fruited acid limes are seedless
because they are triploid (there is actually some discrepancy in the
literature on their chromosome number).  Generally a plant will be
seedless if it has an odd number of chromosomes.  The small-fruited acid
limes are seedy and have a stronger more pungent aroma than the large-fruited
types.  This makes the small-fruited acid limes excellent for food
flavoring (e.g. 'Key' lime pie)

Randall P. Niedz, PhD
Research Geneticist
U.S. Horticultural Research Laboratory