Genomic DNA: Polysaccharide contamination.

diogon at sc2a.unige.ch diogon at sc2a.unige.ch
Fri May 3 04:08:57 EST 1996

In article <2.2.16.19960501141249.2f5f14c4 at pilotk.msu.edu>, krasnyan at PILOT.MSU.EDU (Sergei Krasnyanski) writes:
>         For the different molecular analysis we several times isolated
> genomic DNA from mint using CTAB protocol. And every time we had huge
> polysaccharide contamination. For purification of DNA  we have tried to use
> NaCl method (BioTechniques 1992, Vol 13, No.1, 52-53) and phenol:chloroform,
> but without success.  I would appreciate very much if someone could give me
> some idea how to get rid of that junk

There is method in biotechniques Vol.17, N°.2 (1994) that consisting in making
an precipitation in 35% of ethanol : the polysaccharides are supposed to be
precipitated but not the DNA, but you have to be very carefull when you're
adding the ethanol, you have to redisolve you're DNA in your last buffer, first
and then, you have to add the ethanol very slowly, drop by drop and to mix
rapidly after each drop.