How do I find Scientific names?

Brian Fristensky frist
Fri Mar 29 15:49:47 EST 1996

Chris Monser <chris at printerworks.com> wrote:
>Does anybody know how I can find out what the Scientific designation
>(Genus species) for the Irish plant called "Blackthorn" or the
>English "Whitethorn" (a.k.a. simply "Thorn")?
>--

One thing to try is the NCBI Taxonomy browser at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

Just press the button marked "Taxonomy"

In this case, a search for 'blackthorn' turned out nil, but
thorn turned up three hits, one was a scorpion, and the other
two were lily thorn Catesbaea spinosa) and hawthorne (Crataegus spp.).
I don't know whether either of these might be what you're looking for.

I don't know offhand whether or not the NCBI Taxonomy browser
is limited only to species for which at least one sequence
appears in GenBank. On the otherhand, there are sequences
now from some pretty surprising sources.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  The optimist proclaims that we live in
University of Manitoba          |  the best of all possible worlds. The
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  pessimist fears that this is true.
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  James Branch Cabell (1879-1958)
FAX:            204-261-5732    |
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/