How do I find Scientific names?

Wayne Hughes hughes at dogwood.botany.uga.edu
Thu Mar 28 06:20:18 EST 1996

In article <3158649A.1EEF at printerworks.com> chris at printerworks.com writes:
>Does anybody know how I can find out what the Scientific designation
>(Genus species) for the Irish plant called "Blackthorn" or the
>English "Whitethorn" (a.k.a. simply "Thorn")?

  Start with a dictionary.  My Webster's New Collegiate tells me that
  "blackthorn"  is "1. a European spiny plum (Prunus spinosa)... and
  2. any of several American hawthorns".

  It doesn't list "whitethorn" but does have under "thorn...1...any of
  a genus (Crataegus) of the rose family."

 "Hawthorn" is "any of a genus (Crataegus)..." along with several specific
 examples.

 A lot of people are surprised that you can find such specific botanical
 information out of a dictionary, but it almost always gives me  a
 clue as to where to go for more information without having to buy
 or find some probably expensive, regionally specific botanical text
 or manual.

 Wayne

--
Wayne Hughes  |              Keep your carbon dioxide fixed!!
Botany Dept   |            http://morgan.botany.uga.edu/wayne.htm