What wood is that@?

Susan Ramsay 8739741r at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 06:28:51 EST 1996

phlomis at aol.com (Phlomis) wrote:
>Can anyone help with identifying the wood referred to as being used for
>javelin shafts in ancient time. it is described as <bois de cornouiller>
>in a French article quoting Xenophon.

<bois de cornouiller> is the wood of Cornus species (Dogwoods). These are
usually shrubby plants rather than trees and are often grown now in
gardens for their colourful bark in winter. I don't know off hand which
species of Cornus would have been used for javelin shafts but if you want
to know more please e-mail me and I'll see if I can find out any more for
you.

Best wishes,

Susan.