potato yields

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 25 17:09:08 EST 1996

In <Pine.SOL.3.91.960320085341.9836A-100000 at asrr.arsusda.gov>
rniedz at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV ("Randall P. Niedz") writes:

>On 20 Mar 1996, Bill Langridge wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what the current yield of potatoes is in pounds,
>> kilograms or tons per acre or hectare for the average white or
yellow
>> cooking potato from Idaho, or Maine or other major potato producing
>> area in the US. I need this information to calculate the yield of
>> recombinant protein possible to produce in a transgenic potato?
>>
>> Thanks very much for your help.
>>
>> Bill Langridge
>>

>Bill.
>
>I use Agricultural Statistics 19--, published by the USDA to derive
yields
>and value for citrus crops.  There is a fairly extensive breakdown of
>potato plantings, yields, and value in the U.S.
>
>Randy Niedz
>USDA, ARS
>Orlando, Florida

Bill, the hillbilies in the North Carolina back country (Smokies) have
huge yelds due to the nature of the soil...well drained sandy loam with
a lot of organic matter and rich in potassium. By the way, did you know
that against cultural beliefs of eating potato skins, they should be
discarded. Any heavy metals are stored in the skins....potato is a good
portion of this backcountry society. They never eat the peels!
ML Roginsky.