Buying a Stereomicroscope

denmarel at IX.NETCOM.COM denmarel at IX.NETCOM.COM
Mon Mar 4 01:18:06 EST 1996

Hi,

I am interested in buying a stereomicroscope to use when identifying
plants.  I can spend between $750.00 to $1250.00 and live in Marin
County in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Since I don't work in the
scientific community or academia my only resource so far has been
Carolina Biological supply.  I suspect, however, that used equipment
is probably available as well.

I would appreciate some quidance:

Do Wolfe microscopes have a good reputation?

Should I buy a microscope with zoom or tiered magnification?

Are there reliable sources for used/reconditioned scopes in Northern
California?

If you have any experiences or opinions that may help me decide on a
good  scope it would be a great help.

Thank you.

Dennis Marelli

"...activity that delays for a while recognition of its own
futility may not be altogether futile..."  Robert M. Adams